A YFU exchange experience has many great qualities:
- It is amazing!
- It is living on a budget and sometimes being frustrated.
- It is discovering a new family, and new friends.
- It is being homesick and sometimes miserable.
- It is seeing a new country, and being exposed to exciting new ideas.
- It is becoming exhausted, and sometimes being bored.
- It is being looked upon as a representative of your country.
- It is making responsible decisions.
- It is experiencing failure, and learning how to overcome it.
- It is realizing that you are in a different culture, and finding the courage and flexibility to adjust to it.
- It is being exposed to new foods and discovering that you like them.
- It is becoming more independent.
- It is learning how much you love, and value, your natural family.
- It is rediscovering how much you love, and value your own country.
What type of student has a successful exchange experience?
A student who …
- Has curiosity
- Has the ability to tolerate failure and has a positive and realistic expectation
- Is adaptable and flexible
- Is tolerant to differences
- Is able to communicate
- Has a sense of humor
- Is motivated
- Is open minded
- Has a positive regard for others
- Is patient
- Is respectful of different cultures
- Is open to learn from mistakes
- Is able to participate fully, in home, school and community activities